You know that you want to be a teacher. You need a degree for that. Why should you consider getting an online degree? You could attend a brick-and-mortar school. There are many reasons why prospective teachers may choose to get a degree online.
- Equal access: Some students with disabilities may find it easier to work online without the physical challenges involved in traveling to a campus. Working on a computer may be the best approach for students with vision, language, or auditory restrictions. You can also use online writing software if you have some troubles with studying.
- Expense: Online classes can be less expensive. You are not paying for the buildings, the parking lots, lights, electricity, etc. You also don’t have to pay for transportation to a campus or a babysitter to watch your children while you’re in class.
- Geography: You may not live near an institution that offers a teacher education program. With online education, you can work from anywhere with an Internet connection. Whether you are in the middle of a city, in the country, or even out of the country, you can study. Military personnel can continue classes even as they travel the globe.
- Time: You may have work or family responsibilities that make it difficult to be free during specific class times. You may not be able to make a 9am class, but perhaps you could work on your course at night. You can continue with your daily routine and add classes as your time allows. You are also not spending time commuting to class.
- Environmental concerns: Since you are working at home, you are not driving your car to campus. That’s going to positively affect your carbon footprint. Your assignments are submitted online, so you eliminate paper consumption
- Format: Some people like to work online. You can advance at your own speed. It often allows more time for reflection.
- Freedom: There are often fewer time constraints. You can access the course when you want. If you are an early bird, a night owl, or somewhere in between, you can choose to work during your most productive time.
- Social media: If you are already a participant in social media sites, online courses can allow you to interact with other students in a manner you enjoy. Some people feel more comfortable holding a discussion online rather than face-to-face.
Getting a teaching degree online can be a good fit for your budget, your current job, your family, your personal life, and even the environment. It can open up the profession to a more diverse population. Being able to learn on-line can make your dream of being an educator a reality.